LERC Presents Protected Open Spaces Study Results
ERIE’S MOST IMPORTANT STUDY OF THE YEAR
Every new publication is posted here as as well as at topwritingservice.com.
LERC and VanAmburg Group, Inc. recently completed a critical study:
THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF PROTECTED OPEN SPACE IN ERIE COUNTY, PA
Tom Fuhrman and David VanAmburg presented the results at the Jefferson Education Society to a packed house on February 7, 2013. The audience of 80 individuals from throughout the county engaged in a spirited discussion. If you missed it, the PowerPoint highlighting the study’s results is available below.
The Jefferson Education Society presents lectures, classes and seminars year-round. You can join their mailing list here.
ACCESS THE REPORT AND PRESENTATION
View and download the Presentation.
View and download the Executive Summary.
View and download the Full Report.
Key findings include:
- $556 million IN ANNUAL ECONOMIC VALUE, INCLUDING:
- $14.7 million in annual property and transfer tax revenue for local governments
- $149.6 million in costs avoided as a result of natural provision of environmental services
- $156 million in annual benefit for residents who recreate on protected open space
- $128 million in annually avoided medical and workers compensation costs as a result of recreation that takes place on protected open space
- $2.8 million in commodity sales from preserved working farmland
- $7 million in municipal park maintenance expenditures
- $18 million in tourism revenue
- $72.7 million in annual salaries
- $7.3 millions in annual state and local taxes
- 1,678 jobs created on or as a result of protected open space in Erie County
- $535 million added to Erie County housing stock value –$4,490 for every housing unit
LERC’s next goal is to get a referendum on the 2014 ballot to let Erie County voters decide if they want to let tax millage generate $250,000/ year so that LERC can finally have funds to work with when Erie County land becomes available to protect through land acquisition or easement/ development rights purchase.
Call Tom to get involved and help make this happen.